Monthly Archives: April 2013
Yesterday’s workout was this intense workout inspired by ‘300’, the 2007 action movie which illustrates the epic account of an ancient battle between the Spartans and Persians. The workout consists of six different exercises for a total of 300 repetitions. ‘300’ is an older movie but if you haven’t seen it, you must. Not only did I think it was a great movie but I was amazed at how ripped and chiseled these men were.
In addition to a strict diet, the cast of ‘300’ was challenged with this gruelling workout to shed those last few inches of fat, build muscle and increase strength to get them ready for the big screen.
This is the original 300 workout:
Pullups – 25 reps
Barbell Deadlift with 135 lbs. – 50 reps
Pushups – 50 reps
24-inch Box Jumps – 50 reps
Floor Wipers – 50 reps
Single-Arm Clean-and-Press with 36 lbs Kettlebell – 50 reps
Pullups – 25 reps
My 300 workout is slightly modified. Complete each exercise with no rest between:
25 Assisted Pullups
50 Barbell Deadlift
50 Box Jumps
50 Floor Wipers
50 Barbell Clean-and-Press
25 Assisted Pullups
For each exercise I just use a weight challenging enough to complete the required amount of reps.
After trying this make sure you get a good stretch! Enjoy 😉
A couple of weeks ago I was nominated by Carrie, from the Little Blog of Letting Go @ http://littleblogoflettinggo.com/, for the Liebster Award. I am absolutely honoured and I thank you, Carrie, from the bottom of my heart for recognizing my blog as worthy reading material.
If you’ve been blogging for a while you probably already know what the Liebster Award is about. For those of you who don’t the Liebster Award is given to rising bloggers who have less than 200 followers. The word Liebster is German and has a variety of meanings such as sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
The purpose of the Liebster Blog Award is to recognize those who are new to blogging and to help promote their blog to other bloggers.
The rules are as follows; I must:
- List 11 random facts about myself
- Answer the 11 questions that Carrie created for me to answer.
- Pass the torch by nominating 11 new bloggers.
- Create 11 questions for my nominees
- Display the Liebster Award logo.
11 Random Facts About Me
- I am the luckiest woman in the world because I have the best husband in the world.
- I am the luckiest mom in the world (next to my mom,lol ;)) because I have the best, most beautiful daughter in the world.
- I have a strong love for all creatures great and small which is why I have 3 cats, 3 snakes, 2 turtles, 1 Savannah monitor, 1 bearded dragon, 1 scorpion and about 30 tarantulas. The weird creatures are my husband’s hobby. I learned to love them when I fell in love with him. Now I can’t imagine not having them around 🙂
- I am a clean freak and a neat freak. Everything has to be spotless and in it’s place. Otherwise, I feel unsettled and unbalanced.
- I am a true Libra: balanced; love peace, harmony and justice; natural-born leader
- I am a perfectionist which can sometimes cause undue stress but it keeps me continuously striving.
- I am a fitness freak and love everything health and fitness related. I do martial arts, workout like a machine and play soccer like I’m competing for the FIFA World Cup.
- I LOVE chocolate!!!! However, if I have a certain health or fitness goal in mind I have the discipline to say no to chocolate or any other junk food because I’m determined to be successful.
- I am very spiritual and have a strong faith in God.
- I love reading books that have anything to do with spirituality, personal development and psychology.
- I believe in angels because I believe they guide and protect me. I also believe it’s important to treat everyone with love and respect because you just never know when you could be talking to an angel 🙂
My Answers to the 11 Questions Carrie Created for Me:
1) What are you most afraid of?
Funny enough, I’m afraid of mice which is weird because I have to feed them to my snakes. I don’t understand the fear. They just kinda make my skin crawl!
2) Do you have a favorite quote or personal motto? If so, what is it?
I have two:
- Dream Big…Make it happen
- If your dreams don’t scare you, they’re not big enough !
3) What is the most difficult life event you have experienced?
I would have to say that going through a divorce about four years ago was difficult. It was very life changing but, I’m grateful for the experience because it strengthened my character and I have now been blessed with the best husband in the world.
4) What is the most joyful life event you have experienced?
I am very blessed because I have many but, the most joyful was the birth of my princess 18 years ago.
5) Who are your heroes?
My mom and dad, the two people I look up to the most. They have raised 3 great children who are all successful and made many sacrifices in doing so. Despite their health issues which would have most people giving up, they face each day with a smile, thank God for another day of life and keep a positive attitude.
6) What is your favorite “thing” in all the world? People don’t count, and it does not have to be a material “thing”. For example, my favorite “thing” is Star Trek.
My most favourite thing is long socks. I have tons of pairs with different patterns and funky colours. I wear them only in the winter, of course, but I love them because they keep me all warm and cozy.
7) Do you believe in life on other planets?
Absolutely!! I believe there is so much more to this world than we can even begin to imagine!
8) If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?
I would break down all the barriers that have been built by and that are the cause of all pain, suffering and hatred. I would love to be able to wave a magic wand that would cause an awakening and raise levels of consciousness to reduce greed and conflict and create more love and compassion.
9) If you answered the phone and a voice on the other end said, “I have a loaded gun to my head. Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t pull the trigger?” How would you respond?
My response would be: You shouldn’t pull the trigger because I am here for you. I care and I want to help you end the pain. You matter and your feelings matter. Your life is as significant and as valuable as anyone else’s life and you deserve love and happiness. Please talk to me and help me understand your pain so we can get through this together.
10) What do you think the most important words in the English language are?
And I have six more that I’ll put into two phrases:
- Love thy neighbour
- Do unto others
11) How do you plan to make the world a better place?
I plan to reach out to as many people as possible to lead and inspire towards living clean and healthy lives creating a mind, body and spirit balance.
Danabolic– All Things Health and Fitness
Diamonds With Flaws– Self-Love.Encouragement.Motivation.Advice.Change.
Fit & Busy– There’s No Such Thing As Too Busy
Gracie’s Greens-Documenting the life of an aspiring dancer, fitness maniac, and crazy health nut one bowl of greens at a time.
Italian Curly– A new(ish) CrossFitter just trying to live in a lovelier light!
JSResults’s Blog-Chasing The Top One Day At A Time!
pFIT pFUN– Fitness tips, workouts and motivation.
Project Eat Me– Tasty, Healthy, Fun Food
Stefanya– Natural Living, Natural Skin Care
The Iron Cheftress– Life & Kitchen of a Personal Trainer
Yvie Sismee-Fitness, Exhilaration, and Nutrition
Congratulations! You all have wonderful blogs with a lot of valuable information and experiences to share. Keep striving and making your dreams come true.
- What is your favourite past time?
- What sign of the zodiac are you and does your personality/character fit the description?
- Where is your most favourite vacation spot?
- What’s your favourite colour?
- What movie could you watch a million times and it never gets old?
- What’s your favourite piece of clothing?
- What’s your most favourite thing to eat, good or bad?
- What is your most favourite sport to play or watch?
- If you could have one wish, what would it be?
- If someone had the power to look into your future and tell you how your life is going to unfold, would you want to know? Why?
- What do you think is the most valuable lesson we could teach our youth today?
I wish you all much success on your blogging journey 😉
Very powerful, must watch video. A message that needs to get out to all women, especially young girls. They need to know that they are beautiful both inside and out. This will build and maintain a high self esteem and self confidence.
Another one of my Crossfit faves is this 20 rep workout. It consists of 20 different exercises at 20 reps each. That’s 400 reps!! Insane, but a good feeling when you’re done. If you’re not familiar with some or all of the exercises, have a look at Crossfit’s website for the exercise demos. It goes as follows:
- 20 Wall-ball shots
- 20 Sit-ups
- 20 Box jumps
- 20 Push-ups
- 20 Cleans
- 20 Double unders
- 20 Thrusters
- 20 Pull-ups
- 20 Overhead squats
- 20 Kettle bell swings
- 20 Push presses
- 20 Dips
- 20 Sumo deadlift high pulls
- 20 Burpees
- 20 Back squats
- 20 GHD (glute-ham developer) sit-ups
- 20 Walking lunges
- 20 Deadlifts
- 20 Knees to elbows
- 20 Front Squats
Again, very intense workout but very effective. It’ll make your body beg for mercy! Give it a try and let me know how you like it 😉
I love quotes because I find that they can be so motivating and inspirational. I really like this quote because it can be applied to so many areas of life: fitness, health, spirituality, wellness, career, finances, family and relationships. The list is endless.
“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.”
Dale Carnegie 1888-1955, Author and Speaker
Live your dreams, transform your life. Never settle for less. Believe you can achieve. Know that you matter. Love yourself a lot so that you’ll have lots of love to give. Never be afraid to take action. Never be afraid to dream or believe. You can accomplish and achieve anything you want in life. All you need is a dream, a plan and action.
Yesterday my hubby and I took in a Jays game at the Rogers Centre. It was, by far, the worst baseball game I’ve ever been to! The Toronto Blue Jays lost 13-0 to the Boston Red Sox, but this game was the most entertaining one I’ve ever been to.
What made it entertaining was the dare-devil fan who, in the 8th inning, sprinted from the stands, across the field and slid into second base. After sliding into second base he jumped up so proud of his performance and threw his hands in the air. The whole stadium was cheering and laughing which, of course, made this fan feel that he had just done a great thing. Then when he saw security running out on to the field towards him his few seconds of glory ended and he continued his sprint across the outfield towards the 10 foot walls that surround the field.
This guy could run! Security had to be a good fifty metres behind the Olympic sprinter, they had nothing on him! If that wall had not have been there, he would have successfully escaped. Well, no such luck. The dare-devil ran up the wall and caught the top of it. Unfortunately for him, it was too high to scale and he was finally captured by security.
The whole point to this story, besides sharing something hilarious, is that we can always find the humour in most situations. The energy of the stadium started out pretty high but gradually declined with each passing inning and a score of zero on the board for the Jays. There was a lot of whining, complaining and grumbling about our team’s performance. When this fan decided to take matters into his own hands by providing a little entertainment, it brought the level of energy back up a little with laughter and cheers.
We can always find a little something to laugh or smile about no matter how bad a situation may seem or how much of a bad day we’re having. We should laugh and smile no matter how much we feel that things are not going our way. I’ve always believed that laughter is the best medicine. It boosts our spirits as well as our immune system and energy levels. It releases endorphins, our body’s feel good chemicals which can temporarily relieve pain. Have you ever had a good laugh while you’ve been hurt, physically or emotionally? I have, and thinking back, laughing did relieve the pain for a short while. Laughing is also very contagious and can bring a group of strangers together like it did yesterday at the stadium. The energy was high, everyone was cheering and having a great time even though we were losing.
With the hustle and bustle of everyday life it’s important that we take some time to de-stress. Stress can be so damaging to our health and laughter is the one bit of medicine that is free, easy to use and can bring our mind and body back into a state of balance. Laughter lightens our burdens and enables us to feel more inspired, grounded and focused.
- Laughter will lower your resting blood pressure but,
- Will act as a light workout when you’re really laughing hard because it increases your pulse and blood pressure which sends more oxygen to your muscles.
- Laughter gives your diaphragm, abs, back, facial muscles and respiratory system a great workout.
- Laughter reduces cortisol and adrenaline.
- If you find that you get colds often, laughter will help to reduce their frequency because it raises the level of infection-fighting antibodies in the body and boosts the immune system
- Laughter increases memory, alertness, creativity and the ability to learn
- As little as ten minutes of laughter can burn about fifty calories!
- Laughter can reduce blood sugar levels.
- Laughter can also help with relaxation and sleep.
- Not only does laughter bring a group of strangers together but it also connects us with those we hold near and dear to our heart.
I will leave you with this one lesson from Regina Brett’s, “45 life lessons and 5 to grow on“:
Lesson #4: Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
I encourage you to laugh, laugh out loud, laugh your a** off or however you choose to express yourself.
Have a great day 🙂
Hope everyone’s weekend is going well and that you’re enjoying the nice weather. Above is the video that goes with my post from March 8th, Tabata Leg Workout. Feel free to try it and let me know how it goes.
Enjoy your weekend 🙂
I’m working night shift this week but I’m determined to “Get ‘er Done” and get my workouts in- no excuses!!! I’ve been hittin’ the gym every morning after work because I know I won’t go when I wake up later in the afternoon. I just kinda like to relax and laze around until it’s time to go back to work. Anyway, not sure where I found the energy to do this leg and ab workout but I’m glad it’s done! It’s an intense workout if done at a fast pace. The good thing is you can do it anywhere. It doesn’t require any equipment or weights, just your own. Also, it’s great to do a couple of times per week if you’re looking to tone up.
Complete 3 sets of the following (rest 2 minutes between sets):
- 10 split lunges (each leg)
- 20 squats
- 30 alternating lunges
- 40 crunches
- 50 second plank hold
- 100 calf raises
- 50 second plank hold
- 40 crunches
- 30 alternating lunges
- 20 squats
- 10 split lunges (each leg)
By the end of it my legs were on fire and I was ready for bed! Make sure you get a good stretch after too 🙂
Have you ever been told that you can’t do something because, “It’ll be too hard” or “You’re not good enough” or “You’re not smart enough” or You’re too young”, “You’re too old”. Or what about those that try to discourage you when you come up with a creative idea, or you have once in a lifetime opportunity? It never ceases to amaze me how people impose their own fears and insecurities on others. Well, I’ve been there and I thank God that I’m so stubborn!
Any time I’ve been told that I can’t accomplish something I’ve made it my mission to prove that person wrong, as did my friend Antonella at the Fitness Star Model Search on March 16th, 2013. On this day, Antonella entered her first competition ever and WOW, did she ever kick a**! She placed third in the Level 1, Female Masters category. Then it was the icing on the cake when she was selected by the Chief Executive Officer of Stella’s Corset, Abraham Catano, to model Stella’s Corset brand in 2013!! A paid modeling gig! $Cha-ching$ Pretty darn good for her first show!!
Antonella began her journey on August 8th, 2012 when she walked into L.A. Fitness, the first time that she had ever been in a gym. She joined the gym for two reasons:
1. She wanted to lose her baby weight and be a positive role model for her beautiful little girl. This meant healthy eating and exercise. Toddlers are active and being a part of your toddler’s active lifestyle is a short-time opportunity that you don’t want to miss out on just because you can’t keep up.
2. Antonella had to prepare and be ready to look her best for an event happening in September.
After a steady regime of training three times per week for a month, Antonella reached her goal and thought, “Wow! What’s next?” I like the way she thinks! Always reaching for the top!
After seeing such great results in such a short period of time, Antonella’s trainer asked her if she would consider competing. This was it, her next goal. Antonella increased her training to five days a week. This journey was quite a challenge because she had absolutely no support from the people she loves the most, her family. To add insult to injury even some of her friends were un-supportive and told her that she’s too old. But her answer to that was, “there’s NO age in fitness!” She decided she was going to do this regardless of the lack of support she was receiving. So what I have to say is, “In your face, non-believers! What do you have to say now?”
On March 16th, 2013 Antonella rocked the runway and she looked awesome! She was strong and confident, beautiful and proud. Congratulations to her and I know she’s going to blow the judges away when she competes in the Fitness Star Model Search World Championships on August 17, 2013.
Antonella is a shining example of someone who was able to overcome challenges and achieve success. Her faith and belief in herself was far greater than all the negativity and discouragement combined.
Positivity! Make it happen!